In general, both GMC and Chevy vehicles are designed with a Theftlock radio, which renders the inoperable stereo to a would-be thief. However, the drawback of a Theftlock system is that when the battery becomes disconnected or dies, you would need to deactivate the whole system by entering the radio code.
No matter if you have technical skills or not, unlocking a protected Theftlock radio does not require any special tools or expertise. The following are some easy and simple steps for you to unlock the radio in a GMC or Chevy car.
Before starting, you will need a paper and a pen. Bear in your mind that a Theftlock system just allows you about 15 seconds to do each of the following steps.
Recommended for You:
How to Unlock The Radio in a Chevy Car?
- Step 1: Start your car and turn the radio on.
- Step 2: Press and hold the preset numbers two and three till a code with three digits shows up on the display of the radio. You should write down this code immediately.
- Step 3: Press the FM/AM button. You will see the radio displays a second three-digit code. Write down this second code as the previous step. Now, you have a code with six digits.
- Step 4: Call the phone line of the Chevy Radio Code at 1-800-537-5140. After that, enter the following numbers 1-0-6-0-1-0 and the # key so that you can direct to the retrieval system of the radio code.
- Step 5: Enter the six-digit code that you have retrieved in step 2 and 3, following by the * key. You need to make sure that they should be entered in the right order. After this task, you will be provided a radio code with four digits. Similarly, write this radio code down.
- Step 6: Start the car and turn the radio on. After that, enter the four-digit radio code to the stereo system by applying the minute and hour button. Then press the FM/AM button to unlock the stereo.
How to Unlock The Radio in a GM Car?
- Step 1: Start your car and turn the radio on. You will see the radio displays “LOC”, which indicates that the Theftlock system is already activated.
- Step 2: Press and hold the preset button one and four for about 10 seconds. If you do not have a preset button four, then do it with the preset button two and three. Then the radio will show a number with 3 digits. Write down this number.
- Step 3: Press the FM/AM button. The radio will show a second code with three digits. Write down this second code. Now you will have a six-digit code.
- Step 4: Contact any local GM dealers and provide them the six-digit code above. Then they will offer you another radio code with four digits. In general, a lot of dealers would give you a free radio code, while the other might charge a small amount of fee. When the dealer want to charge more fee, you should consider finding another dealer or searching on Google for any websites that provides radio code of a GMC car. Basically, they often charge a small fee, which is around 10 USD.
- Step 5: Start the car and turn the radio on. Press the hour button of the radio till the first 2 numbers of the code show up. After that, press the minute button till the last 2 numbers of the code appear. Once all of 4 digits are displayed, press the FM/AM button to unlock the stereo. The radio’s display will show “SEC”, which indicates that you have unlocked the radio successfully and it is now fully operational.
If the display of your radio reads “INOP” when the car is still on, there would be a possibility that you have entered too many wrong radio codes. To remove the “INOP” reading from your radio’s display and unlock it, you need to leave the key in an on position for about 1 hour. Once you have retrieved the unlock code of the radio, write it down to use in the future. You should bear in your mind that the radio code would be not adjusted and having it in advance would save you from performing the whole retrieval process of the radio code again.