Have you ever doubted the decision to purchase a car after finding some devices need to be repaired or changed?
I know this experience, car maintenance could be very expensive and annoying for most of us.
One thing that you should to pay careful attention to is the air filter of your car.
This element is often adulterated with bug, dust, sand, dirt or debris in a long time.
Thus, it is essential for you to change it to keep the maximized performance of your car.
But when would you change it exactly? Would you buy a new air filter every time you repair the car or would you wait for a couple years?
Let’s find the answers for these questions below.
What does your car need an engine air filter for?
In general, the fuel in a car would need oxygen to combust. Nevertheless, the air entering the machine must be free of contaminant and clean, and this is the reason why an air filter exists.
The filter, which is put in a box, help to trap the debris and dirt which come in the bottom of your car.
As a result, clean air would keep going to the machine, and contaminant would be blocked by the air filter.
Without this air filter, debris or dirt would have negative effect on the performance of the car.
How would you know when to replace an air filter?
One unprincipled method that a mechanic makes money is to persuade you to change an engine filter while the current one is still very good.
While replacing an air filter too early is costly, having a filthy engine filter for a long time would damage your machine.
This is mainly because a dirty and old air filter would block contaminants ineffectively, resulting in debris and dust entering the motor.
However, you could know easily when to change an air filter by having a look at it and check the folds with pleat through which the air is purified.
If you notice that the air filter is full of dirt, then you should go for another one. Fortunately, this process of inspection is easy to do and would not take you more than 5 minutes.
In addition to the usual inspection of the engine filter for every 6 months or 6000 miles, you could decide it your air filter need to be replaced by seeing its performance.
When an engine filter is blocked, you would be likely to notice:
- Bright warning on the dashboard: this just happens in serious situations.
- A decline in fuel consumption: this drop is often not important.
- Low energy while increasing the speed: a study indicated that a clean engine filter would enhance the acceleration from 6 per cent to 10 per cent.
If you have experienced any of those problems, you should change the engine filter immediately.
How often to change an engine filter?
The most essential thing to bear in your mind is that there is no exact answer for this question.
Changing an engine filter depends on environmental elements such as the place you live and drive the car.
In general, you would need to replace an engine filter in the range from 15 to 30 thousand smiles (depending on environmental elements.)
The followings are several elements that you need to consider when deciding to change your engine filter:
- Condition of driving: A driver living in the country with filthy road would need to replace his air filter more frequently than a driver living in the city with clean road.
- Frequency of driving: A driver who uses his car frequently would replace the engine filter in 1 or 2 years, while a driver who seldom use his car could change for every 2 or 3 years. Bear in my that an old air filter could break down, so you should not let it in your car for more than 3 years.
- Manual guide of the car: Many manufacturers provide specific period of time to replace an air filter.
If you drive a Chevrolet car, you should change the air filter for every 4 years or 45 thousands miles.
If you drive a Ford car, you should change the air filter from 15 to 30 thousand miles, depending on car version and condition of driving.
You also need to to consider the efficiency of the motor, the quality of the acceleration and the appearance of an air filter when determining to change the engine filter.
If you drive a Hyundai car, you should change the air filter for each 30 thousand miles.
As you could notice, it is a priority to replace an air filter. And you should bear in mind that:
- Check the engine filter each 6 thousands miles to know if it is too filthy and thus needs to be changed.
- Read the manual guide carefully to learn if there is any suggestion or recommendation for replacing an engine filter and follow it.
- If you do not have specific information on your car, you should change the engine filter for each 15 to 30 thousands miles, depending on the conditions of driving and the performance of the car.
By playing an active role in maintain your car, you could make sure that minor issues do not lead to serious damage.
Remember to use this guide to help your car in good condition.